Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Right From Wrong


March 10, Week 2, Day 10

Principle 3, Part 3:  “If You Are Wrong, Admit it Quickly and Emphatically.”  
Well, I was wrong.  Wrong to think I don’t have a job yet because I am doing something wrong or that there is something wrong with me.  Wrong to think that a book written in 1936 can save my life in two weeks, when my life doesn’t need saving, and when it does, Dale Carnegie would be the first to say that that’s MY job.  I was also wrong to think that nothing short of an interview or job offer could brighten my day, when all it took was a phone conversation with a dear, wise friend, while I sat in a parking lot and watched the dirty snow melt.  I’ve been wrong in aiming too low, and wrong in selling myself short.  Funny how realizing how wrong I am can turn the world back upright.

Principle 4, Part 3:  “Begin In A Friendly Way”
So I’m starting over, not from the premise that all of my efforts up to now have been a waste because they haven’t yielded visible results, but based on a thirst for knowledge, and the enjoyment of public discourse.  Nice to meet you, Mr. Carnegie, I’m sure you’ve got worlds of wisdom to share, and I’ll do my best to keep things in context and listen with an open mind.  In the mean time, I’m going to go apply for some more jobs, and try to enjoy this unexpected sabbatical.  Peace out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment